Friday, December 6, 2013

Our Christmas Decor {Industrial Chic}



Christmastime is here! This year I had planned on being finished with Christmas decorating and shopping by Thanksgiving, but it just didn't happen! My plan was to bust it all out the week of Thanksgiving break, so we can sit back and enjoy it all. Well, Thanksgiving break came and went super fast.  So, this last week I've been working like one of Santa's elves trying to get everything done.

In years past we've put our Christmas tree in our living room, but this year we decided to put it in our family room. Since this is where we spend most of our time anyway.

This year I wanted our Christmas decor to have more of an industrial feel and look of mixed metals to go along with the lockers that are in our family room. 



The "JOY" sign is from Target. I wasn't in love with the original finish of it, (it looked more rustic than the vintage description of it) so I painted it Rustoleum's Safety Red. The same red as our entry table.

 I normally wouldn't buy something new and then paint it, but in this case it was only $20 and I knew I couldn't DIY a light box for less. I'm happy with the way it turned out! I feel like the bright red is more JOYful than the original color! Sorry Target. 


I removed the plastic bulbs, taped off the light bulbs and cord, then spray painted it.



So much more bright and cheery, right?!?


Our stocking holders are old, but did get a paint job this year. I was wanting new stocking holders, but wasn't too sure of what kind I wanted anyway, so I decided to try painting them first. I used Craft Smart metallic paint in Silver to give them a faux zinc finish. I'm happy with the way they turned out! They fit right in with the industrial feel that I'm going for.

Before and After




The tea light candle covers were an easy DIY that I made last year using this tutorial.


The garland on the tree was made by using gold, white and silver scrapbook paper , twine and a circle punch. It's similar to the one I made here




Instead of using a tree skirt this year, I opted for a galvanized bucket to go along with our industrial theme. To add a little modern twist to it, I striped it using painters tape and gold rub n buff.

 Stripes and polka dots make this girl happy!




The glittered reindeer canvas was made last year. I don't remember what tutorial I used, but you can find a similar tutorial here.






I made the faux metal ornaments using the products below.

This is a simple DIY but if you're like me and you like details... here you go:

Remove the cap from ornament. Pour a small amount of paint into the ornament. Move the ornament around so paint covers the inside completely. Let the paint drip dry out of the ornament into a paper cup.  I used the small Dixie cups and let them dry over night.
Use the gold leaf pen to paint cap.
I would have used rub n buff for the caps, but I ran out after striping the galvanized bucket. And apparently I'm not the only one who considers Rub n Buff a DIYer's BFF , both local craft stores were sold out of it!


I'll be adding a few more touches to our holiday decor over the weekend and I'll be sharing them next week!

Have a great weekend!


xo,


                                                                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment